Sunday, March 6, 2016

Idea Napkin No.2


Idea Napkin No. 2

1.       I am currently a college student pursuing a degree in general business. My experiences in business including working in merchandise at Walt Disney World and creating a nonprofit organization. If I were to start this business, I believe that it would help me enhance my skills for running a business that is not a non-profit.

2.       My product is an app that allows college students sell, buy, or rent apartment/dorm décor from students who live within a certain radius of the campus. The students themselves will be responsible with the delivery of their product. To ensure that they receive it is they have to check into the app. To make a revenue, the app will have a fee on posting your items.

3.       I am offering this to any college student who is not a commuter but rather lives either on or close to campus.

4.       This app cuts out the uncertainty if whether or not the décor will work in your space, the difficulty of transporting large décor from large distances and time that shipping takes.

5.       What sets this app apart from things such as eBay or craigslist is that it only works for students attending the university.

I believe that all elements fit together except for maybe the first. I am not sure that I am capable of creating such a service or ensuring that the app becomes successful. I also am not very good at describing or going in-depth of certain ideas. I am more of a big picture person. This causing me to overlook small details that may affect the success of the service.

The feedback I received was mostly just questions on how I would receive a revenue from the app. I have now stated that in part. The other comments were on how the app is a good idea because a lot of people have problems furnishing and decorating their living spaces.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,

    Great idea! It would be amazing to have an app that would allow me to find apartment decor as well as sell mine more conveniently. This app would probably also be more of a safer alternative to craigslist. The only concern I have is that the majority of the student are all ready on the free and for sale page where UF students are able to buy and sell items that include other stuff than just home decor. What sets you apart from the page than an app that unfortunately takes storage space? Check out my post.http://jalekatircioglu.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courtney,

    I can definitely see this product being useful in college towns or other small communities. I have used similar resources during my time at UF that I have found useful. It is good that you have acknoweledged that you may need assistance monitoring certain fine details of the product. This will save you a headache in the future. Check out my post if you like! http://josetheentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,

    I really like this idea. You're always seeing posts on Facebook about people selling or buying couches and end tables and what not. You might already have this in the works, but I would suggest adding a filter? For instance, if I know I'm going to have a brown living room chair and needed a couch, I could go onto the app and check couch and brown. Check out my idea http://stent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Courtney,

    I like some parts of your napkin idea but I think it lacks innovation and I fear that due to the lack of innovation, it will not create much traffic.

    For example, UFs free and for sale page and craiglist both enables students/people to list what they want to sell for free and those sites have been around for quite some time. Your app and the service it provides is not that much different than those other intermediaries.

    All that being said, I might be wrong in the sense that I do not know much about home decor/furnishing so maybe it is something Craiglist and UFs page can't provide?

    Anyways, I enjoyed reading your post and I hope to run into your blog again! You can check out my blog at, http://flatpeak.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html.

    Brian D. Kim

    ReplyDelete